Thursday 22 January 2015

Interview of Tom Burns

Tom Burns is one of the very active players from Scoltand who has been playing a lot of tournaments in the FISTF and WASPA circuits. He's also one of the organiers of the Glasgow TSA.

Tom (middle) between England's Justin Finch and Belgium's Daniel Scheen
When did you first start to play Subbuteo and what was the first team you got bought? 
TB: I can't remember the first team I bought but my no 1 team was Anderlecht (Ref 55 - Heavyweight).

How many years have you been playing and what are the main titles you have achieved in any level?
TB: 1971. I joined Glasgow in 1975 and played continously till 92 then the club disbanded. I started playing again in 2010.

What is the best thing about this game and why would you recommend it to someone? 
TB: I love the competitive nature but also the sportsmanship and I have life long friends because of it.

Your most memorable moments from this game happy or even sad? 
TB: I have won club competitions but the main achievement was winning the Veterans Open in Glasgow two years ago which I had to do to be assured an individual WC place in Manchester. Also lost another final.

Who was your strongest opponent and who is your favorite player and why?
TB: The toughest opponents that I have played would be Chris Thomas, Christian Haas and Derek conti. Not sure I have a favourite.

Is it a sport or a game ? what is your opinion about this question that many people ask?
TB: Sport or game has always been a difficult one. The UK has never seen the game the way the rest of Europe does. It could be classed a sport but it will always be minority. It won't generate money as you can't sell out a venue as the ref struggles to see let alone people who are a distance away.

What improvements would you like to see in the future and what would you suggest to improve things?
TB: I am quite happy with the game and the last rule changes I really like. I don't understand why we need two categories.

What are your feelings about how FISTF and WASPA are working and doing something for the game nowadays? What would the WASPA rankings? Do they mean something for you?
TB: Rankings don't matter to me but FISTF ones are only a guide. I'm not chasing points. Just love to play.

Your passport
Name: Tom Burns
Age: 53
Nation: Scotland
Club: Glasgow TSA
Type of figures/bases used: Extreme works
Job: Taxi driver
Hobbies: Golf, badminton, football, motorcycles, pool.

No comments:

Post a Comment